SxLvTlk

SxLvTlk
SxLvTlk: Know Your Grey

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Don't Emote, Evaluate

I have decided that I will actively participate in my dating life. For the past two or three years, I have been on "pause." Not trying to meet anyone new, just kind of recycling associates. I felt that I had met more than enough people already and had a nice stack to select from. Particularly all of the people who weren't necessarily nice to me early on who happened across my path in later years with a mouth full of apology. While the temporary comfort offered some respite from the decidedly trying nature of the past 18-24 months, there was little to propel any forward motion. I was fine with that until I realized that I was treading water and being a punk. Always I tell others, to explore and not be afraid to fall. In the fall there is learning, and in the fall there is always a better view of what one is striving for.

If this advice was good for others, why wasn't it good for me? Of course it was. With that, I decided to make myself available to this wonderful world of dating. I have become adept at being successfully single. I was asked to go on a date and I said, "Yes." We met in a public place and went to dinner. The evening was nice enough, we said our "good nights" and were off to our respective homes. Cool...or so I thought.

The next night I received a phone call from the gentleman during which he did not hesitate to tell me what he felt was good for me and where he felt I should and should not go. I explained the nature of what I do, SxLvTlk and how I would sometimes be among unsavory elements. He went on to respond, quite heartily, "Well if that's what you want to do...God Bless You!" I looked quizzically at the phone and wondered, "What is going on here?" He then said, "I have to go." I said, "Good Night." and hung up the telephone. Shortly after, I was flooded with texts. The texts spoke of his being overwhelmed and physically, emotionally and spiritually available to me. The next morning I received a text that said, "If you don't like me, it's fine, you won't be the first." I looked at the phone and simply shook my head. The slave me would have said, "Why is he acting like that? What did I do to upset him? Oh man, I messed up again!" The anxiety of "being alone" and "unwanted" would have driven me to attempt to contort myself into what I thought HE might have responded better to. Instead, I took stock. I thought about the evening,
and the interaction overall.

What was good? The fact that we conversed well and laughed easily. There was a moderate bit of attraction and he held a strong sense of service and masculine was to be delivered to me.
What didn't go well? The fact that while he enjoyed the meeting, he made a minor incident the place from which he chose to get the majority of his information about me from. Another thing that did not go well was his inability to maintain a sense of composure and equilibrium.
Was a second date necessary? No, due to the fact that his behavior is erratic, after one outing, and it is clear that he is uncomfortable with the person I am making myself into, I am quite satisfied that the effort required to acquire some level of balance is too much.
Verdict: Deselected. No sense of guilt, shame or regret.

I went on a date on Friday night. This date was with a childhood acquaintance. I had always found him attractive and found that time had not diminished his good looks. I also remembered that I found him a bit immature. He had a history of dating significantly younger women and I always took this to be evidence that he was immature, or controlling or perhaps a combination of both. We agreed on where to meet and started the evening from there. The evening took its course, which was simple and courteous enough. We bid each other adieu and went our separate ways saying we would maintain contact. I sent him a text and some additional information meant to bring him up to speed on where I was at this point in my life. He had also requested I send him a picture (g-rated) which I did via e-mail as his phone did not have the memory required to receive it. I sent him texts equal to the ones he had sent me and went about my day. The next morning I received a text that said he felt pressured and wanted to build a friendship. Initially, I was offended. I couldn't understand where he was coming from. Then I calmed down, and decided to debrief.
What was good? I felt comfortable. We laughed, the communication between us in person was much, much better than our communication via telephone and text. Our lifestyles were very similar, we seemed to want similar experiences out of life, and we were both interested in monogamy.
What was bad? He was late, not interested in service since we had known each other since childhood, asked for inappropriate information, seemed put off by my refusal to accommodate his inappropriate behavior and the bewildered expression he held when i informed him about what I was doing with my life and time these days.
Is a second date necessary? No, but I find him beautiful. Save that, he would not get another chance and would be allowed to escape into the ethers due to his immaturity, lack of service and poor display of self-restraint.
Verdict: Deselected. However there is a slight reprieve available if he decides to humble himself and become receptive to learning.

Had I been emoting, rather than evaluating, I would be finessing these gentlemen and making excuses for the things about them that I did not find suitable. The purpose of dating is to be able to get a sense of what is available and stronger conviction in regard to what we do and do not want. Rather than become defeated by what is not, I am taking strength and power from what is. To Knowing my Grey and using my Gifts....Extraordinary...as are WE. Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment